When I meet with people and ask questions about great games to improve team collaboration they answer no. 1 is always Scrum LEGO game beginners guide. That didn’t suit me so I was really stubborn in finding or inventing any other game which improves collaboration inside teams.
Reasons, why you might need other game, are various, for example:
- Your team already played LEGO game
- You don’t have LEGO box available
Planes game requirements
All you need for this game is:
- Absolute minimum is 4 people
- Pile of A4 paper sheets
- 1-hour timebox
First of all, you need to create as many 2-4 people teams as possible. Teams don’t have to be equally sized (life is not fair). The goal of each time is to build planes while consuming resources and provide profit for a company.
You should start the game by some kind of introduction in which you will tell teams that they all have a budget and are supposed to create as big profit as possible. The game will be held in 3 sprints. Each sprint will be combined from:
- 3 min planning – on this meeting each team will be provided with one A4 piece of paper for checking and need to figure out a number of planes that they will commit to on the first sprint
- 3 min sprinting – actual building, remember that everyone can make one fold at a time
- review – all participants together gather to check their planes (you are making test flights) – the plane is accepted when it flies for more than 5 meters
- 3 min retro – teams use this time to find out what they should improve
Rules of the plane game
- The plane is finished (accepted/done) only when it crossed 5-meter mark before touchdown.
- Maximum profit from one plane is $2 and a maximum loss per lack of plane is -$5. Your balance is changing:
- +$3 per committed and finished plane
- +$2 per finished plane above commitment limit
- -$3 per committed and unfinished plane
- -$1 per plane given for a failed test
- -$1 per used piece of paper.
- Planes need to have a blunt front for security (believe me they will be flying all around).
Read more about this game at Planes Game results and examples