Building the Backlog
As we already know from Scrum LEGO game introduction this should take 15 minutes. Now it is the time to share the features of the city. Good way of doing it is by showing a team pre-prepared set of sticky notes hanging on a wall. You can include whatever you would like to have inside city. Here are some examples:
- One storey building (5 of them, each on 1 sticky note)
- Two storey building (3 of them)
- Bus stop (2 of them)
- Road (can be drawn)
- Park (can be drawn)
- River (can be drawn)
- Military base (this might appear in 2nd sprint)
Running the Sprint
We will run 3 Sprint in the game. Every single one will cover those 3 things:
- Planning which will take 3 minutes. It is basically event on which team choose what they think they would like to build now.
- Sprinting will take 7 minutes. This time is seems to be low compared to planning but is enough to build several items. To make sure all players are stressed it is good idea to show a big visible stopwatch.
- Reviewing will take 5 minutes. When the time is up, I make sure students really stop building things and start demanding: “Where is my city?” In most cases nothing is accepted after the first sprint, because after I am shown the buildings, I “come to realize”:
I like symmetry. I like one color buildings. Buildings are either too small, too big, or too diverse. Windows of different floors are not lined up.
Unfinished items are brought back to the Backlog from the Planning Wall. Once stories are accepted, I am updating the Release Burndown chart. I also make a clear and loud announcement that the release has to be done in three sprints and now it looks like we will not be able to accomplish all stories. A few minutes can be spent on retrospecting on the topic of “how can we make it better the next sprint?”.
During second sprint PO should be at least half of sprinting on vacation (will not answer questions). Moreover if team deals suprisingly good with stories I like to toss new story (Military base) which is ASAP and very critical. Moreover
After third sprint we should proceed with Scrum LEGO Release and Debrief.